2003 – Present
Adjunct Faculty, BA in Liberal Studies, Antioch University, Los Angeles. Teach upper division academic writing, creative writing, and literature courses.
- Created curricula and teach these upper division literature and writing courses:
- The Trauma Memoir: Voicing the Unspeakable
- Writing about Trauma: Literary Art from Adversity
- Representations of Childhood in Literature
- Topics in Contemporary Literature: Sexual Politics
- Topics in Contemporary Literature: Lolita and her Literary Sisters
- Contemporary Theater
- Representations of Adolescence in Literature (in development)
- The Literature of Addiction and Recovery (in development)
- Received consistently high evaluations from students
- Conducted independent studies and supervised prior learnings with BA Program students
2010 – Present
Adviser to Two Hawks Quarterly, the BA program’s digital literary journal. Helped to take this student-led journal to the next level by attracting work from known writers from around the world. Also designed and implemented a more formal curriculum to teach students editorial skills.
Literature Instructor, The Bridge Program, Antioch University, Los Angeles. Taught a survey of Western literature from Homer to the 21st Century in a community humanities program for economically disadvantaged students. Focus was on engaging students to develop critical thinking and writing, make cross-disciplinary connections, and feel empowered to find their own voices in their work and in their lives. Introduced readings from “Hamlet” and “King Lear” as elements of the curriculum.
“Transference in the Writing Classroom,” Served as a panel member with esteemed writers Hope Edelman, Amy Wallen, Stephen O’Connor, and Amy Friedman (chair) AWP Conference, Chicago, IL, 2012
“Child’s Voice in Literature,” Created and chaired the panel, and served as a panel member with memoirists Hope Edelman and Paul Lisicky, AWP Conference, Denver, 2002
“Progression by Digression: Multiple Narrative Lines in Memoir. Created and chaired the panel and served as a panel member with creative nonfiction writers Ned Stuckey-French, Hope Edelman, and Paul Lisicky, AWP Conference, Boston, MA 2013